Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Well Checks

I recently took the girls to their 4 year old and 18 month well checks. Yes, I realize that Emery is almost 20 months, but this time of the year I am very unmotivated. Hence the lack of blog posts. I also wanted to wait until Abigail was due for a checkup too. The doctors office is no place for well children in the winter.

The girls are both thriving! We didn't seem to get the usual strange looks and a barrage of questions when we try to explain that we don't give our children cow's milk to drink. (and are adamantly opposed to doing so) This is real progress considering that the doctor and I have disagreed on this subject for quite some time now. Is it obvious how I feel about this subject? Moving on. Here is a run down on both of the girls and there interests and progress to date.

Abigail:



  • Abigail's attention span has increased dramatically in the past few months. IF she is interested in a project she can easily spend at least 45 minutes, if not an hour, working on it.

  • She loves to color. This is something that she has always loved but has recently discovered the art of staying in the lines and alternating colors. She takes an art class one afternoon a week and loves it! She is learning to use all kinds of different mediums in her art.

  • Her sense of humor has become more developed. Instead of getting the knock knock jokes that don't make any sense, her jokes are started to be a little more articulate. She definitely gets the jokes that are being told to her. This is so much fun because we get such a kick out of the fact that she gets the joke, everyone ends up rolling around in laughter.

  • Still loves the color yellow. But, pink and purple have been added to the list.

  • Loves to listen to classical music and make up stories about what the music is saying. This is a fun game, but I am starting to run out of ideas. She can recognize several instruments. Won't she be surprised when mom breaks out her clarinet?!?!

  • Abigail's pretend play has become more sophisticated. She has moved past the "I am cooking some delicious soup for you," and moved into character play. She will pick the character's for everyone involved and then there is a very strict set of guidelines that must be followed while you are in character. The rules usually include things like accents, body movements, and knowing exactly what your character would say in every situation. (I get corrected a lot!)

  • This child has very keen senses! Along with that has come a very sophisticated palette for a kid her age. We were at Whole Foods one afternoon and they were cooking up some steak with a blue cheese dressing for sampling. Abigail tilted her nose in the air and started smelling. The man cooking told her that he was making something that children wouldn't like. At that moment she said, "hmmm....I smell blue cheese." The guy just laughed. When she stated that she also smelled steak and that she would like to try some, the guy was baffled. He gave her a taste and she raved about it. He told her that he couldn't believe she had such a sophisticated palette. Every time we get take out, she can guess what is in the boxes before we even get home. Last week it was guacamole salad. Maybe she will have a great career as a Sommelier?

  • Abigail loves her friends. She is very social and is really into playing with other kids her age right now. She has many best friends, including at least 2 husbands. This is one of the reasons she loves school so much. And one of the reasons we are so happy that we started her at this age.

  • She is fast. I have yet to come across one of her peers that can run as fast as her. I don't know what this means, if anything. I do know that she takes great pride in telling me that no one on the playground can catch her.

  • Abigail still has an endless array of interests. We do what we can to encourage this and expose her to as much and as many things as we possibly can. She will usually find something she is interested in and focus intently on it for at least a month. This month is it horses. In particular, Black Beauty. I am enthusiastic about what is next, it is hard being Black Beauties farmer everyday.

Emery:


  • She can hold a conversation now! The days that she will just point to what she wants and say the word are beginning to fade. She now says, "I want to eat." or "I am hungry." Last night she was yelling for her dad from her room. "Daaaaaddddyy, are you? I see monsters!" She is still fine tuning, but doing very well. You can ask her a question and it will usually spark a dialog between the two of you. It is a very exciting time for her!

  • Emery loves to make believe. Picking up on her sisters games, she loves to play monster. She will tell you that she sees monsters in every dark corner in the house. She will also pretend like she is afraid and wants you to play along with her.

  • She loves to paint! This started with just scribbling on pieces of paper and quickly moved into painting. She likes to stand at the easel and paint. After she has completed her piece, she drags you over to tell you everything she has painted. She gets so proud of herself. Unfortunately, she tends to wander around the house with paintbrush in hand. I am going to need another can of touch up paint! Not to mention a big bowl of soapy water and a sponge.

  • Wants to do everything herself. Much like her sister, she is a very independent little girl.

  • Loves music! We have enrolled in a mommy and me music class and Emery really enjoys it. She gets in the middle of the circle and does her version of dancing. This usually means spinning accompanied by some stomping. Just when you think she is not paying any attention to the teacher, she will start singing the songs at home. And does she ever love to sing!

  • Emery loves the outdoors. Unfortunately for all of us, it has been really nasty weather. This has resulted in lots of tears shed while standing at the backdoor.

  • She loves to take Abigail to school. She carries in Abigail's snack, pushes the buttons on the elevator, and leads us right to Abigail's classroom. She goes right in and enjoys herself while Abigail and I go wash her hands. It would not bother her one bit if I left her there. The teachers and all of the children love her. Surprisingly, she sits down and participates regardless of what activity they are doing. This is all very reassuring to me as it will be her turn to start school before I know it.

  • This child loves to read! I find her in her room several times a day just reading to herself. She studies the pictures very carefully and then tells the story based on what she sees. It is really fascinating to listen to her version of the story.

  • Emery has started counting. When she hears me counting she will fill in the next number. She also has started trying to sing her ABC's. I will post video when I get some.

  • She wants very badly to get her feet off the ground! She tries and tries to jump but has not been successful so far. I have a feeling it might take her a little while considering her size. Hopefully, the new trampoline the girls got for Christmas will satisfy her. It is hard to see her get frustrated. However, she is running and she is pretty quick.

No comments:

Post a Comment