Tuesday, June 29, 2010

The Harvest

Abigail and I are having such a great time harvesting the ripe veggies from our garden. It is so exciting to watch the whole process. We all really get a kick out of bringing something inside and having it with dinner that night. There is nothing that can compare to fresh, straight of the vine, veggies. Right now, we are getting zucchini, bell peppers, and tomatoes. (Not to mention all of our delicious, fresh herbs) Just as I started dreaming up the delicious red sauce that I am going to make with the abundance of tomatoes that we have, I noticed something very unfortunate. Stink bugs. They are digging into my tomatoes and creating rotten spots in them. Just today I had to throw at least 6 tomatoes into my compost bin due the bugs. I have been out in the garden all day trying to catch them by hand. I am very dedicated to growing our garden organically, so I can't do what seems to be an easy solution...spray pesticides. Instead, I am going to spend some time this weekend researching a concoction that will rid my plants of the bugs. Hopefully, I will get them before they destroy my whole crop of tomatoes!

Bell pepper plant

Grape tomatoes

The garden


YUM!


First zucchini and tomato




No comments:

Post a Comment